Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nuristan-Kunar road reopens after military offensive

Nuristan-Kunar road reopens after military offensive

May 28, 2016 - 15:26

ASADABAD (Pajhwok): A key road between eastern Nuristan and Kunar provinces has been reopened as a result of a military operation codenamed “Sher Ghashai” (Lion Arrow).

The road that connects Nari and Ghaziabad districts of Kunar with eastern districts of Nuristan, including Barg-i-Matal and Kamdesh, was blocked by a rockslide one and a half months ago in Dab Barwar area of Asmar district, the Kunar governor’s spokesman, Abdul Ghani Musamim, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

But Talibaninfo-icon militants had been posing a challenge to the reopening of the road and security forces launched an operation last night and reopened the road, he said, adding everyone could travel on the route without any problem.

Local residents also confirmed the road had been reopened and said they suffered a lot due to the blockade.

A resident of Nari district, Abdul Wahid, told Pajhwok Afghan News the people of eastern parts of Nuristan and Kunar’s Nari and Ghazibad districts had been in great trouble due to the road block. He said the blockade had resulted in an unprecedented price hike and that some patients had also died after failing to reach hospital.

A resident of Ghaziabad district, Hayauddin, said he was happy over the reopening of the road and urged the government to establish security posts on the road.

Meanwhile, the Taliban said only civilians were allowed to travel on the road and government officials could not do so.

Their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said insurgents were still in the area and they had closed the road against government officials and forces.

He said only 21 Taliban fighters had been killed in the entire Kunar province during the past three months and another 18 injured. During this period, he claimed hundreds of security personnel had suffered casualties and their several vehicles were destroyed.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update