32 militants killed in Herat, Zabul clashes
HERAT/QALAT (Pajhwok) At least 32 militants have been killed and scores of others wounded during separate security operations in southern Zabul and western Herat provinces, officials said on Thursday.
Zabul deputy police chief, Ghulam Jilani Farahi, told Pajhwok Afghan News the operations against militants began five days ago and were still underway in Arghandab , Baghbaz, Saykacha districts of the southern province.
He said 21 militants were killed and a number of weapons belonged to the rebels were destroyed during the operation.
Three policemen were also wounded during clashes with militants but civilians escaped unharmed, Farahi said.
He added another five militants were killed and seven others wounded during a separate operation in Shamlazi district of the province.
Security forces also seized an artillery shell, one RPG rocket and the bodies of two militants in Bahramkhel area of the district on Wednesday.
However, the Taliban said the Afghan forces operation was unsuccessful as a large number of security personnel suffered casualties.
The group’s spokesman, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, said the militants had surrounded policemen in Arghandab district.
He said 12 Afghan security personnel including commander Shamshad who were sent as reinforcement to the area had been killed while the siege was yet to be broken.
According to another report, six militants were killed and eight others wounded in Kashk-i-Kuhna district of Herat province.
A statement from Herat police headquarter said militants suffered the casualties during a clash in the district on Wednesday night.
A number of militants’ motorcycles and cars were also seized by Afghan forces, the statement said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.