Uruzgan-Kandahar highway reopened: Governor
TIRINKOT (Pajhwok): The Uruzgan-Kandahar highway was reopened by security forces for traffic on Friday, inflicting casualties on dozens of insurgents, the governor of central Uruzgan province said on Saturday.
Mohammad Nazir Khoratai told a joint press conference with 404th Police Zone Commander Brig. Gen. Nabi Jan Mullah Khel here that other roads leading to districts of the province would also be reopened soon
The two officials said security forces were finally able to reopen the Uruzgan-Kandahar highway that had been closed by insurgents for one and a half months.
Khoratai said the Afghan security forces during the operation to reopen the highway showed they were capable and had the potential to defeat the enemy.
He said the insurgents kept the highway blocked for a long time causing a great inconvenience to civilians.
He said the highway closure sent the prices of food and non-food items soaring and patients died on their way to hospital. The closure had created several other issues for many residents of Uruzgan and in districts of Kandahar province.
The governor said more security check posts would be established to ensure security on highways and roads leading to districts would be reopened soon.
Nabi Jan Mullah Khel said the Taliban had been planning to take control of the Uruzgan by carrying out coordinated attacks and therefore they blocked the highway to reach their goal.
He said the rebels had been unable to achieve their goals and the Afghan forces on Friday reopened the highway for traffic. He said at least 150 Taliban insurgents including senior Taliban commanders suffered casualties during the operation to reopen the key highway.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.