A dozen passengers kidnapped in Kunduz released
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Twelve of the 21 bus passengers kidnapped by the Taliban in northern Kunduz province have been rescued by the security forces, officials said on Wednesday.
The militants kidnapped the passengers from a 404-model bus in the Bagh-i-Amir area of Kunduz City -- the provincial capital -- on Wednesday morning. The bus, heading to Takhar, was intercepted by the rebels.
A day earlier, Governor Asadullah Omarkhel said 47 passengers had been kidnapped by the Taliban. Seven of them were rescued during an operation by the Afghan forces.
However, police chiefBrig. Gen. QasimJangalbagh told Pajhwok Afghan News the kidnapping figures previously shared with the media were wrong. He explained 21 passengers, who were returning from Iran, were taken hostage.
Jangalbagh said a dozen passengers were rescued by the Afghan forces and efforts were underwayto free the rest. The Taliban have not yet commented on the incident.
Last week, 200 people were kidnapped and a dozen of them killed later on. Many have already been released as a result of intervention from tribal elders. But eight are still in Taliban’s captivity.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.