Govt asked to ensure security on highways
KABUL (Pajhwok): Reformist Youth Association (RYA) on Friday expressed concern over increased kidnapping cases on highways, asking the government to ensure security of the routes across the country.
RYA head, Sayed Jawad Sultani, told a joint press conference that security situation has been deteriorating in the country and passengers’ kidnapping cases on highways endanger the future of Afghan youths.
Last Wednesday, Taliban militants abducted 21 passengers from a 404-model passenger bus in Bagh-i-Amir area on Kunduz-Takhar highway. Twelve of them have been rescued by Afghan forces while the rest were still suffering in rebels’ detention.
Last week, 200 more people had been kidnapped when a dozen of them were killed. Many of them have been released as a result of mediation of tribal elders but eight are still in Taliban’s captivity.
However, Sultani said that worsened security situation caused passengers being kidnapped on highways and then brutally being killed.
“Unfortunately only civilians were the victims of the past three decades of war in Afghanistan, we request the government to give priority to the safety of people’s lives and prevent their casualties,” he added.
A large demonstration would be held for justice, if the government did not take practical steps for controlling the situation, he warned.
Gulalai Akbari, a lawmaker from Badakhshan province, said the government intentionally wanted to disrupt the security of northern region.
“The Afghan government does not have a clear policy regarding war and peace, therefore security situation in northern regions also gets worse,” she said.
A political analyst, Kako Jan Niazai, who was also present in the press conference, accused the government of incompetency, saying it did not take any action to rescue the passengers who were kidnapped a week ago.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.