Religious scholars condemn Nangarhar mosque attack
The improvised explosive device, which had been planted in the mirab, a niche in the wall, of the mosque in Hesarak village of Rodat district went off when people were offering Friday’s prayers, killing three people and injuring 78 others.
The Taliban in a statement denied involvement and condemned the blast.
Afghanistan Ulema Council member Maulvi Abdus Salam Abid told a gathering in Kabul that they strongly condemned the blast in the Hesarak mosque. He called the attack as cowardly, barbaric, un-Islamic and unjustified.
“Those who do not believe in God destroy mosques,” remarked the cleric, saying the perpetrators of such incidents had no connection with religion.
Prayer leader at Hazrat Bilal Mosque in Kabul Mufti Ahmad Noor called the incident as painful and said those involved were the enemies of Islam and humanity.
Similarly, religious scholars in Nangarhar and neighbouring Laghman provinces also condemned the blast in the Rodat district.
Nangarhar hajj and auqaf director Maulvi Abdul Zahir Haqqani told a gathering attended by dozens of scholars that the attack on the mosque was an un-Islamic act.
He called on religious scholars to campaign against the killers of Afghans and expose them to the people that those committing such acts were not jihadis.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.