Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Torkham border remains closed after overnight clash

Torkham border remains closed after overnight clash

Jun 13, 2016 - 11:30

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Following an overnight clash between Afghan and Pakistani forces, the Torkham border remained closed for traffic on Monday morning, an official said.

The fierce fire exchange erupted at 9pm when Afghan forces tried to stop Pakistani border guards from constructing a gate and installing a fence along the frontier.

Attaullah Khogyani, the Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the clash lasted two hours. However, he said gunfire in some areas continued for several hours.

One Afghan border policeman was killed and five others wounded during the clash, he said.

However, the 301 border zone police official Col. Ayub Hussainkhel said that six policemen were injured in the incident.

“Afghan forces aggressively responded to the enemy,” he said, adding they would defend their motherland until their last breath.

Khogyani said Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi and provincial council head, Ahmad Ali Hazrat were getting live updates on the situation on the eastern border.Ten ambulances had been sent to the border area.

On the other hand, President Ashraf Ghani ordered all security forces to defend their country.

A small number of travellers who wanted to cross the frontier were turned back due to the closure of the border.

A security official in Torkham said Pakistani security posts and offices across the border had been torched as result of rocket and mortar attacks from the Afghan side.

The source said more than 20 Pakistani militiamen suffered casualties in the incident. The Pakistaninfo-icon military has reportedly banned public movements in Torkham and Land-i-Kotalborder towns.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update