55 militants, 15 security men killed in Kandahar clashes
KANDAHAR (Pajhwok): Afghan security forces and Taliban militants clashed overnight in the Maiwand district of southern Kandahar province, with each side claiming inflicting casualties on the other.
The pre-dawn clash broke out when armed insurgents stormed security posts manned by the national army, police and public order police in Band-i-Taimur area of the district.
Kandahar governor’s spokesman Samim Khpalwak confirmed the clash and said both the sides had suffered casualties, but exact figures were not available.
He said the clash began at about 2am and stretched into Wednesday morning. He said a delegation had been sent to the area to evaluate the situation and collect information about casualties.
But a reliable security source told Pajhwok Afghan News that 15 Afghan security personnel had been killed and four others wounded during the clash that left 35 militants dead.
The Taliban have claimed credit for the attack. The group spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said the fighters captured a military base and killed 32 soldiers and seized their weapons. He did not say if the rebels had suffered any casualties.
The Band-i-Taimur is a large area which Taliban use for their activities including drug smuggling. A few days ago, the Taliban attacked public order police, killing 11 and injuring eight others.
Elsewhere in the province, Afghan special security forces conducted a raid on a Taliban hideout in Zangitan area of Shah Walikot district, inflicting heavy casualties on the rebels.
Samim Khpalwak said 20 militants were killed and six others were captured alive with their weapons during the operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.