14 Nepalese security guards killed in Kabul suicide attack
KABUL (Pajhwok): Fourteen Nepalese citizens were killed and nine others, including four Afghans, wounded in a suicide bombing in Kabul on Monday, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said.
The bomb took place at around 6:00am in the limits of the 9th police district in Banai locality, a statement from the ministry said. “The bomber rammed into a mini-bus carrying Nepalese security guardswith a foreign company, leaving 14 dead and nine others hurt.”
Following the first major attack in the capital during the ongoing holy month of Ramadan, area residents claimed seeing several dead bodies lying at the scene and some injured individuals being shifted to hospital by ambulances.
Sediq Sediqqi, MoIspokesman, tweeted 14 people had been killed. Police were trying to identify the victims, he said.
One security official at the site said the assailant hit the vehicle soon after it took to the main road. A number of people in a nearby market were also injured in the early-morning bombing, he revealed, requesting not to be named.
As usual, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, with the militant group’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying casualties had been inflicted on many foreign and Afghan forces.
Resolute Support strongly condemned today’s Improvised Explosive Device attacks in Kabul that killed several civilians and injured many more.
“The Taliban’s actions repeatedly harm civilians in an effort to undermine the Government of Afghanistan’s efforts to provide peace,” said Brig. Gen. Charles Cleveland, Resolute Support Deputy Chief of Staff, Communication.
“Horrific attacks like these show that, despite the Taliban’s promises, they have a complete disregard for the lives of innocent civilians,” Cleveland said.
Resolute Support expressed its deepest condolences to those affected by these terrorist acts. “We are steadfast in our commitment to train, advise, and assist our Afghan partners in achieving a sustainable peace, as well as, security for the people of Afghanistan.”
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also condemned the terror attack in Kabul in which at least 14 Nepalese security guards were killed and pledged all assistance to Nepal government.
"We strongly condemn the horrible tragedy in Kabul. Our deep condolences to people & Govts of Afghanistan & Nepal on loss of innocent lives," he said in a tweet.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.