12 operations conducted against rebels in 24 hours: MoD
KABUL (Pajhwok): Dozens of insurgents were either killed or wounded over the past 24 hours during newly-launched security operations in 13 provinces, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Thursday.
Maj. Gen. Dawlat Waziri, MoD spokesman, told a press conference here a dozen operations were launched during the past 24 hours in Jawzjan, Badakhshan, Faryab, Paktia, Ghazni, Uruzgan, Kunduz, Kandahar, Farah, Ghor and Helmand provinces.
Additionally, 11 separate commando-led raids, three overnight operations, nine air strikes and 92 aircrafts supply and combat flights were conducted during the period. The operations resulted in the killing and wounding of dozens of insurgents and the arrest of 16 others, he said.
He said eight ANA soldiers also got killed in the round-the-clock offensives. “Over the past one week, 120 offensive and combat operations, 79 commando operations, 18 nighttime raids, 372 supply and combat flights, 35 air raids have so far been conducted against insurgents, during which dozens of militants were killed and scores of others wounded and 95 more detained.”
During the operations, the MoD spokesman said 400 landmines were defused and a number of weapons and ammunition recovered from insurgents.
Over the past one week as a result the operations, every movement and plan of the insurgents was frustrated, said Wazir, adding “the enemy is no more in a position to fight face-to-face against security forces and as part of their propaganda campaign, they torture and create hurdles to civilians on highways.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.