Nangarhar governor, security officials be suspended: FACS
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Federation of Afghanistan Civil Society (FACS) on Sunday said the governor and security officials of eastern Nangarhar province should be brought to justice for their failure to prevent Daesh attacks in the Kot district.
Seddiq Mansoor Ansari, FACS head, told a press conference in Kabul that Daesh or Islamic State (IS) rebels attacked Saypai and some other areas of Kot district and caused heavy casualties to civilians.
He said the rebel group also kidnapped several other local residents including children and women.
Ansari warned the Afghans would move to eastern provinces and stand for people’s rights if the government did not suspend the mentioned officials. The government would be responsible for all consequences, he said.
However, Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said FACS was emotionalised by rumors and news posted on social media networks and had little knowledge about the real situation.
He said 23 houses were torched, eight civilians killed, 18 injured and five people, including a child, were kidnapped by Daesh militants in Kot district.
Afghan forces immediately arrived in the area and launched combat operation against Daesh, killing around 200 rebels so far, he said.
Khogyani added the security situation was now stable in Kot. Nangarhar officials did not commit any negligence, he said.
Dealing with situation in a border province like Nangarhar, where various intelligence circles are active, is difficult in a short time, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.