Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Fighting displaces 500 families in Nangarhar’s Kot district

Fighting displaces 500 families in Nangarhar’s Kot district

Jun 27, 2016 - 18:07

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The ongoing conflict in the Kot district of eastern Nangarhar province has displaced as many as 500 families, the provincial Refugee and Repatriation Department said on Monday.

On Thursday night, hundreds Islamic State (IS) militants also known as Daesh attacked some villages in Kot district. The rebels captured some villages, torched homes and killed residents, prompting a military operation against them.

Ghulam Haidar Faqiri, the provincial Refugee and Repatriation director, told Pajhwok Afghan News as many as 500 families had displaced in Kot due to Daesh atrocities. “We have provided emergency assistance to 100 families so far,” he said.

Faqiri said a survey had been launched to identify the exact number of the displaced people and the result of the survey would be shared with the media.

According to him, some people have sought refuge in Jalalabad, the provincial capital, Samarkhel, Kabulinfo-icon Ada and Surkh Rud district.

Samad, a resident of Syedkehl locality in Kot district, said: “There is war in Kot, and I want to shift to Samakhel locality.”

Another resident, Wakeel, said: “People from Janjal Ghondai, Sei Pai and Syedkhel areas have been displaced the most.”

Provincial Council Secretary Zabihullah Zmarai said some people from Kot district might be displaced but he had no information.

“Some people surly be displaced due to the fighting, but it is worth mentioning that our security forces had retaken some areas from IS and would capture the reaming areas soon,” said Zmarai.

Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, said they held a meeting with charity organizations and the number of displaced persons had been identified and would be provided with assistance.

He said some displaced families received financial assistance today and others would get it soon. “Homes of some people would be rehabilitated after being torched by IS militants in Kot,” he said.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update