6 Afghan nationals killed in Istanbul carnage
KABUL (Pajhwok): The number of Afghan nationals killed in Tuesday’s night triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has reached six.
At least 41 people, including 13 foreigners, were killed and 239 others wounded in the coordinated attack, as Turkey's prime minister said early signs pointed to the militant Islamic State (IS) group.
The attackers began spraying bullets at the international terminal entrance before blowing themselves up at around 10:00pm (1900 GMT) Tuesday, Turkish authorities said.
It is the deadliest of four attacks to rock Turkey's biggest city this year, with two others blamed on IS and another claimed by a militant Kurdish group.
Afghan Consul General Malak Quraishi in Istanbul told Pajhwok Afghan News over the phone that six Afghans had been confirmed dead and two more were injured in the carnage.
He said four of the victims belonged to the same family of Abdul Rahman Amiri, a resident of Aqcha district of northern Jawzjan province. He said the dead included three women and an eight-year-old girl.
Another two slain Afghans were identified as 60-year-old Eng. Mohammad Sediq and 26-year-old Habibullah, he said.
Quraishi said the two injured Afghans --- Farhinaz, 22, and Hafizullah, 45 --- had been discharged from a Turkish hospital. He said the two had sustained injuries in the face and arms.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.