Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Massive Taliban attack repulsed in Wardak: official

Massive Taliban attack repulsed in Wardak: official

Jul 02, 2016 - 20:18

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Afghan security forces repulsed a massive insurgent attack on their posts in the Jalrez district of central Maidan Wardak province, an official said on Saturday.

Hundreds of Talibaninfo-icon gunmen stormed security posts in Khwaja Sahib area of the district on Friday morning, triggering a gunbtatle that forced the rebels to retreat and flee, the governor’s spokesman, Abdul Rahman Mangal, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

He said insurgents from other districts and neighbouring Ghazni and Zabul provinces had joined their comrades in Wardak in the attack.

The attackers initially made some progress but were defeated as a result of a joint operation by security forces, he said, adding the rebels also fled from an area in Khwaja Sahib which they had previously captured.

He said the operation was still ongoing and the insurgents were being chased and targeted. About Taliban casualties, he said the yesterday clashes left Taliban district chief for Jalrez, Zahidullah, a group leader and seven others dead and as many others wounded.

He said three security personnel were also injured, but exact information about casualties in Saturday’s clashes was immediately available.

A government official in Jalrez district told Pajhwok Afghan News hundreds of insurgents attacked local police posts near the Khwaja Sahib base at about 5am on Friday. The insurgents made some advance towards the base, but later they were pushed back and forced to flee.

He put the number of Taliban killed in yesterday clashes at 15. He said fresh forces had arrived in the district.

The Taliban claimed capturing three posts in Jalrez and killing a number of security forces. Their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid acknowledged the injuring of only three fighters.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update