Scores suffer casualties as Khost clash goes on
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): At least 10 Taliban insurgents and two security personnel were killed on Saturday after the rebels launched a coordinated attack on the Musakhel district centre of southeastern Khost province, with the clash still ongoing.
The governor’s spokesman, Mubarez Mohammad Zadran, told Pajhwok Afghan News that hundreds of insurgents launched attacks on the district centre from three directions in the morning.
He said reinforcements had been dispatched to the town, but he provided no details about casualties.
However, provincial council head Abdul Wali Wahidzai said at least 10 rebels were killed and another 10 wounded and some dead bodies of the rebels remained at the scene.
“One ANA soldier and one policeman were also killed and another nine policemen wounded during the clash,” the public representative said.
He said it was a huge attack involving approximately 800 insurgents, asking the central government to send military choppers to target the assailants.
Wahidzada also said ANA reinforcements came under Taliban attack on their way to the town from provincial capital Khost city in Dwa Manda area of Musakhel district.
A doctor on duty doctor at the provincial civil hospital told Pajjwok Afghan News on the condition of anonymity that they had received three injured ANA soldiers.
Meanwhile, a resident of the area, Dawood, said both sides used heavy and light weapons during their clashes and the Taliban had besieged the district centre.
A civilian car hit a roadside bomb targeting ANA reinforcements’ convoy. Officials at the civil hospital said four civilians wounded in the blast had been brought to the hospital and their condition was stable now.
There has been no word from insurgents regarding the attack.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.