Violence against journalists up by 37pc in 1st half of 2016
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Afghan Journalists’ Safety Committee on Monday said it had registered 54 incidents of violence against journalists during the first half of 2016, showing a 37 percent increase compared to the same period last year.
Najib Sharifi, the committee director, told a press conference here that the incidents included murders, injuries, physical assaults, threats, censorship and different pressures on reporters.
He said during the past six months, 10 reporters and media persons had been killed and it was a matter of concern.
Noting that high ranking government officials were among the perpetrators of violence against journalists, he said 21 incidents of violence against reporters involved government officials, 16 involved Taliban and the remaining 17 involved various groups and individuals.
Sharifi said the change in Taliban’s policy regarding media outlets after the fall of Kunduz City had led to most of the losses the journalists suffered.
“We want the government to take serious security measures for protection of journalists and seriously investigate the cases of slain journalists,” he said.
He also demanded finalization of the government’s policy on protection of journalists at the National Security Council and its early implementation.
Sharifi said the Afghan government, the international community and organizations supporting media outlets should adopt elaborate security measures to protect journalists and prevent violence against them.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.