Above 350 acres of usurped govt land retaken in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): More than 350 acres of government land illegally encroached by powerful individuals has been recovered during the past two months in northern Kunduz province, the governor said on Wednesday.
Asadullah Omarkhel told Pajhwok Afghan News during an interview that the land was recovered due to strong determination and efforts of the provincial government.
Without naming them, Omarkhel said some former jihadi commanders had been involved in grabbing of the 350 acres of government land. He said structures on the land had been demolished.
According to the governor, a commission was established a couple of months ago to retake government land usurped by powerful individuals. The commission has claimed recovering some swaths of public land in Aliabad and the process is underway.
Omarkehel warned land-grabbers to stop the illegal practice otherwise they would be punished.
Provincial council’s members expressed their happiness over the recovery of the more than 350 acres of land from its illegal occupants and said hundreds of acres of land had been forcefully grabbed in Kunduz.
Amruddin Wali, one of the provincial council members, said: “We were concerned about the land grabs and we have asked the government to prevent it. Although the issue was ignored in the past, but now the government has retaken 350 acres from powerful people. We support this action of the government”.
Ibrahim Turkmen, land and property registration director at the agricultural department, said the exact figures about grabbed land were not available, but 1980 acres of public land had been grabbed by 962 people and houses had been built on them.
Turkmen didn’t name the illegal land grabbers.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.