More than 60 Daesh insurgents perish in Nangarhar offensive
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Sixty-three Daesh insurgents have been killed during a clearing operation in Achin and Kot districts of eastern Nangarhar province, an official claimed on Sunday.
Commando forces have launched the Shaheen-18 offensive in the districts some days back. Foreign forces also are also targeting the militant group with missiles from the airbase in Jalalabad.
Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News 63 insurgents had been eliminated in the past 24 hours in Kot and Achin during the ongoing offensive.
“Among the dead insurgents were Qazi Abdullah Bajawri, Mufti Abdullah, group leader Mullah Tufan Orakzai and commander Hazratullah Shamel,” he said, adding the ground offensive and airstrikes had been conducted in Peshi and Bandar areas of Achin and Lagharjo locality of Kot.
Naveed Shinwari, resident of Achin, said missile attacks targeting the insurgents had increased in recent days.
Sharifullah, a resident of Kot district, said the ANA commandoes launched the clearing offensive in area. He suggested the operation should continue and security forces should establish check-posts in cleared areas.
Lt. Col. Sherin Aqa Faqiri, the 201st Selab Military Corps spokesman, said weapons and ammunition of the group were also destroyed. But Daesh has not yet spoken about the offensive and its causalities.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.