22 Daesh insurgents killed in Nangarhar raids
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 22 Daesh or Islamic State (IS) rebels have been killed during operations in different parts of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Monday.
Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that 17 Daesh militants were killed and 21 others wounded during a special operation in the Bandar area of Achin district on Sunday night.
He said another five insurgents were killed during an airstrike in the Nazyan district of the province. A number of foreigners were among the dead, Khogyani added.
Provincial police spokesman, Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, said a Daesh commander named Abdul Qayyum was also killed in the operation.Civilians suffered no casualties, he continued.
Sangar Khan Shinwari, a resident of Achin, said an operation by Afghan Special Forceshad been underway over the past three days in different parts of the district.
“An offensive is also ongoing in a number of areas of the Shinwari zone. It would be effective because it is being conducted in most parts simultaneously,” he believed.
Shinwari added a large number of Daesh militants had suffered casualties in the offensives. But the group has not commented on its losses so far.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.