Abdullah promises thorough probe into rally attack
KABUL (Pajhwok): Chief Executive Officer Abdullah Abdullah on Tuesday said the government was responsible to reach out to people’s demands and it was people’s right to adopt a legal and legitimate way if their demands were ignored.
Speaking at a Cabinet meeting, Abdullah referred to the protest by the Hazara community in Kabul against a change in a power line project and said when work on people’s demand was in progress, such agitation should be avoided.
He said Saturday’s twin suicide attacks on the protest rally in Dehmazang area were aimed at fueling ethnic tension in Afghanistan, but the Afghans were aware of the enemy’s plot.
The high ranking government official assured the people that the delegation concerned would conduct an impartial and judicious investigation into the carnage that killed 83 people and left injured another 250.
President Ashraf Ghani has appointed a delegation headed by Farida Hameed to investigate the incident.
Abdullah told the Cabinet meeting that last week the National Directorate of Security had been receiving reports about possible terrorist attacks in Kabul and provinces one after another, but unfortunately the bombers struck the protest in Kabul.
He said the twin blasts would be thoroughly investigated under the supervision of the Attorney General Office.
Abdullah said the people should be confident that the fact finding commission would investigate all aspects of the attack on the protestors.
“People are requested to keep in mind the sensitive situation of the country. We all have responsibility towards the country’s development. People should present their legitimate demands by considering the country’s situation.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.