Rally attack be probed by international fact-finding panel
KABUL (Pajhwok): Organizers of the Kabul rally that came under attack from two suicide bombers killing and wounding hundreds of participants on Wednesday called for an international fact finding commission to investigate the Saturday’s carnage.
The twin blasts ripped through crowds of people who had gathered to demand the government reroute a planned transnational power line project through central Bamyan province instead of the Salang Pass.
At least 83 people were killed and another 250 were wounded in the double blasts claimed by the self-styled Islamic State or Daesh group.
President Ashraf Ghani has appointed a delegation headed by the Attorney General Office to investigate the attack.
A key member of Junbish Roshnai (light movement), the group that organized the Kabul rally, Daud Naji, told a press conference in Kabul that there was no one from the movement in the government-appointed delegation tasked with investigating the attack.
He said they wanted an international delegation to be impartial and comprised of specialists to investigate the incident.
Naji said it was not acceptable to them that a government team investigate government officials who were responsible for the incident. “In our view government and security officials are at least responsible for their negligence in preventing the incident and the accused include the government, the attorney general and others.”
He said the government during its two and a half year rule had so far created 83 commissions but all failed to produce results. He said they would not allow the blood of the innocent people killed to be wasted by a deceiving investigation.
“After the attack, a number of protestors remain at the scene until 2am and they had the intention to continue their protest indefinitely, security officials urged to them vacate the crime scene for the sake of investigation.”
He said their movement was more organized than ever and they would continue demanding their right. He said they awaited the government to accept their demands in a mark of respect to the martyrs and route the TUTAP project through Bamyan.
Another member of the movement and Wolesi Jirga member from western Herat province, Ahmad Behzad, said they would not accept the government investigation team as reliable.
He said the government had invited some lawmakers individually to be part of the investigation commission, but they rejected their participation and the rejection showed they had no faith in such commissions.
He said if the government really wanted to provide justice to the victims, it should support demands and proposals of the Roshnai Movement.
He said if an international fact finding commission was created, their movement would provide evidence available with it to the commission.
Behzad warned if the demands of the movement were not given a positive response, they would seek justice on international level.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.