Dozens of Daesh corpses found in Kot vacated homes
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Dozens of dead bodies of Islamic State fighters have been found in people’s homes in cleared areas of the Kot district of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Saturday.
A clearing operation “Qahr Selab” (angry flood) has been launched in Kot and nearby districts against Islamic State or Daesh militants and as a result serveral areas have been combed, the officials told a press conference in Jalalabad, the provincial capital.
Governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani along with security forces spokesmen in the province told journalists that the clearing operation was ongoing successfully.
Khogyani said people had been asking where the dead bodies of Daesh militants disappeared, but the search operation revealed these bodies were hidden inside vacated people’s homes by their comrades.
He said the provincial government would soon release pictures and videos of the dead bodies. He said the houses where the dead bodies were found had been vacated by people due to the conflict and the Daesh affiliates had turned those homes into their bastions.
Col. Sherin Agha Faqiri, the 201 Selab Military Corps spokesman, said 36 Daesh militants were killed and 17 others wounded and seven more captured alive during the past 24 hours.
He said almost all areas of the Kot district had been cleared of Daesh militants as a result of the ongoing operation, which had been extended to nearby districts.
Nangarhar police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal said other operations in Jalalabad and nearby areas were underway in parallel with the Operation Qahr Selab.
He said police arrested four suspected persons in the Chaparhar district during a raid and similar raids were being carried out in the provincial capital and other nearby areas.
The governor’s spokesman, Khogyani, said 78 Daesh militants had been killed since the launch of the search operation and several areas had been cleared of their presences.
He said assistance was dispatched on Saturday to cleared areas and displaced families had started returning to their previous homes.
The Daesh group, which exactly a week ago claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings that killed and wounded hundreds of people in Kabul, has not yet commented on the operation in Nangarhar against them.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.