After Kot, Haska Mena being cleared of Daesh militants
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The anti-Islamic State operation codenamed ‘Qahar Selab’ is successfully underway in the Kot district and has been extended to the Haska Mena district of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Wednesday.
Addressing a joint press conference here with the governor’s and police spokesmen, Lt. Col. Sherin Aqa, the 201th Selab Military corps spokesman, said at least 20 Taliban militants had been killed during the past 24 hours in Pacheragam district.
He said seven Daesh rebels were killed and 17 others wounded during the ‘Qahar Selab’ operation in Haska Mena district.
Police spokesman Lt. Col. Hazrat Hussin Mashriqiwal told reporters that most of the areas in Haska Mena district had been purged from insurgents and huge ammunitions had been recovered.
He said Shabi, Tangai, Gorgori and the Gorgori bazaar had been cleared of the presence of Islamic State militants.
Masriqiwal said a Daesh recruitment center was also destroyed during the operation and security forces were now in control of the facility. Security forces and civilians had suffered no casualties, he added.
Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, also confirmed the operation in Haska Mena, which he said would be cleared of IS presence like Kot.
He said humanitarian assistance would be delivered soon to the affected families and talks in this regard were underway at the provincial and central levels and with donor agencies.
According officials, at least163 Desh rebels and 15 Taliban have been killed and 47 Daesh and 14 Taliban gunmen have been wounded and 10 Daesh loyalists arrested since the launch of the Operation Qahar Selab.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.