Intense clashes underway in 2 Kunduz districts
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Intense clashes were underway on Friday between security forces and Taliban militants in Imam Sahib and Qala-i-Zal districts of northern Kunduz province, officials and residents said.
Imam Sahib district chief Amanuddin Quraishi told Pajhwok Afghan News hundreds of armed militants attacked security posts near the district centre last night.
As a result of the attacks, he said, Nawabad area on the western outskirts of the district centre fell to the Taliban and a fierce clash was ongoing there.
The district chief said if security reinforcements did not reach the district on emergency footing, the district could collapse.
Quraish said so far three security personnel had been killed and two others injured during the clash. He said 15 militants had also suffered casualties.
Meanwhile, in Qala-i-Zal district, tribal elder Haji Rauf said a severe clash was underway in the limits of the district centre since last night, when huge bombardment took place.
He said the insurgents had suffered casualties in the airstrikes, but he had no figures.
But Kunduz police chief Gen. Qaseem Jangal Bagh said only one security post had fallen into the hands of insurgents in Imam Sahib district and rejected the Nawabad area had collapsed.
He said commando forces had been dispatched to the district and the situation would return to normal soon.
About Qala-i-Zal, Jangal Bagh said airstrikes had pounded insurgent centres in the district, but security forces were slowly advancing because the rebels had planted landmines near the district centre.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Muhajid said the fighters had captured nine security posts in Imam Sahib, inflicting heavy casualties on security forces.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.