700 insurgents killed, wounded in a week: MoD
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Monday said some 700 insurgents were either killed or wounded over the past one week during operations underway in 13 provinces.
Maj. Gen. Mohammad Habib Hesari, MoD operations head, told a press conference here that 19 government forces-planned operations were underway in Nangarhar, Kunar, Laghman, Paktika, Paktia, Khost, Kandahar, Zabul, Helmand, Ghor, Farah, Kunduz and Takhar provinces.
As a result of these operations, he said at least 518 rebels were killed and another 188 wounded during the past one week in various areas of the country.
He said most of the casualties inflicted on insurgents were in Nangarhar, Helmand and Kunduz provinces and 43 insurgents were also detained during the period.
Without providing specific figures, Hesari said a minimal number of security personnel also suffered casualties during the past one week. The security situation of the country wasn’t as much worse as some people considered it, he added.
He said only Helmand’s security situation was a bit worrying, but fresh reinforcements had been sent to the province.
The Greshk-Lashkargah road in Helmand, which was earlier blocked to traffic, had been reopened and the Chah Injir area of Laskhargah, Helmand’s capital, had recently come under control of security forces, he said.
Attacks by insurgents in Helmand and some other southern areas had increased because the rebels wanted government forces to lesser their focus on the east, the senior MoD official said.
The insurgents are yet to comment on the MoD assertions.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.