Security situation in Kunduz worries public reps
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Provincial Council (PC) members on Monday called the security situation in some districts of northern Kunduz province precarious, blasting the government’s failure action to retake Qala-i-Zal district.
Ghulam Rabbani, one member of the council, told Pajhwok Afghan News Qala-i-Zal had been under Taliban’s control for the past three weeks.He accused the authorities of having a lethargic approach to the plight of residents.
“For the past three weeks, the insurgents have been in control of the entire district.They (fighters) don’t allow the evacuation of bodies of slain security officials from the battlefield,” the public representative claimed.
He expressed grave concern over the loss of areas to the militants, demandinga large-scale military offensive to reclaim the territory and reinforce the government’s writ before things spun out of control.
Amruddin Wali, another PC member, held a similarly dismal viewon the security environment, reminding the rulers of their promises to stabilize Kunduz and secure its residents on a priority basis.
“Unity government officials have assured us they will launch a major offensive against insurgents in the province, but the pledges have not been honoured yet.”He deplored the government had ignored Qala-i-Zal.
Police Chief Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh, meanwhile, confirmed fierce fighting between security forces and militants was underway in Qala-i-Zal district.
“Last month, Kabul-based security officials visited the province and assured a huge operation will be launched against insurgents.With military action yet to be initiated, there has been a stalemate in the district centre,” he remarked.
Taliban Spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said Qala-i-Zal had been under the sway of the militant movement. The district is situated north of Kunduz City, the provincial capital.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.