Nawa attack repulsed, claims Helmand governor’s house
In a statement, the governor’s house media office said security forces were now busy conducting a search operation in the district.
It said airstrikes by the government forces killed 10 attackers and wounded 13 others.
Earlier in the day, Nawa district police chief said the rebels launched coordinated attacks on all security posts in the district last night, the ensuing clashes still ongoing.
A security official told Pajhwok Afghan News the rebels had captured Ainak and Loya Kali and several other areas.
The official said police lacked enough weapons and ammunition to properly protect the district.
The Taliban have not yet commented on their retreat from Nawa district, but their spokesman Qari Yousaf Ahmadi rejected the government’s claim about casualties among the rebels in Helmand.
He said only five fighters had been killed during the past 48 hours in Helmand, Badakhshan and other clashes.
Before noon on Tuesday, Ahmadi said the Taliban had captured Momin Khan base, Shin Tal base, Fazluddin station, two security posts in Shaglan Sarak area, two posts in Khwaja Baba area and one post in Zharsha area.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.