Reinforcements yet to reach besieged Nawa district
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Local officials on Wednesday claimed the Afghan forces had recaptured a number of areas from Taliban insurgents in Nawa district of southern Helmand province, but the district chief disputed the claim.
The governor’s spokesman, Omar Zwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News the forces recaptured several areas of Nawa district from Taliban on Tuesday night.
He said 17 insurgents were killed and a number of others were wounded during the fight. Eight police were also injured.
A day earlier, the defence and interior ministers visited Helmand for assessing the security situation of the province.
Zwak said the two ministers pledged to send reinforcements to Helmand and intensify airstrikes against militants.
However, Nawa district chief Agha Mohammad Takra said except the district building, all other areas remained captured by Taliban militants.
“We have not received reinforcements so far, the district building is under fire from militants,” he said, adding that no areas had been recaptured from militants.
Currently heavy clashes are underway in Ainak area located between Lashkargah City, the provincial capital, and Nawa district.
Abdul Majid, a policeman in the area, told Pajhwok: “We can recapture areas lost to rebels in a very short time if we receive reinforcements and order.”
An Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier, Munir Mohsin, also said they could recapture all the areas if they received military equipment, otherwise the militants would advance.
Taliban’s shadow governor for Helmand, Mullah Abdul Manan Akhundzada, told the media that militants were able to capture 50 security posts, 10 bases and five departments.
He said except the district building, all other areas of the district were seized by militants.
Intense fighting in Helmand has forced a large number of residents to flee their homes.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.