Threat to Lashkargah neutralized as operations continue: MoI
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Thursday said security operations were underway in various parts of southern Helmand province and efforts being made to improve the security situation there.
Sediq Sediqi, MoI spokesman, told a press conference here that aggressive operations by security forces were ongoing in Nawa, Nad Ali, Garamser, Nahr-i-Siraj districts and some other areas of the province.
At least 54 Taliban insurgents were killed in Nawa, 12 in Nahr-i-Siraj and 10 in Garamser districts during the past 24 hours as a result of the ongoing offensive.
He said the security situation in Nad Ali, Nawa, Marja and Garamer were under control of security forces. “Security forces chase the enemy wherever they go and kill them.”
The MoI spokesman said more fresh troops were dispatched to Helmand during the past three days and the reinforcements were currently busy conducting operations alongside other security forces against insurgents. He said there was nothing to be worried about now and efforts were being made to ensure security in the province.
Sediqi said today’s morning attack by Taliban insurgents on Garamer had been pushed back and threats posed to Lashkargah, the provincial capital, neutralized.
Security forces were supplied every moment whatever they needed by the ministries of defence and interior, Sediqi concluded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.