Kandahar-Lashkargah road blockade lifted: Officials
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): After a week of closure, the Kandahar-Lashkargah highway has been reopened for traffic, officials said on Saturday.
Abdul Ghafoor Tokhi, Helmand’s transportation director, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces reopened the highway on Friday night.
The road had been blocked by Taliban militants for traffic in Durahi area for the past one week, he said.
Driver Shahabuddin confirmed the road had been reopened, but people fearing clashes were reluctant to travel the highway. “People don’t travel this highway, concerned about possible Taliban attacks.”
Another driver, Baghi, said: “Taliban had planted bombs on the highway but the security forces have defused them.
“The government should ensure highway security if it wants people to feel safe while travelling the road,” he remarked.
In Kabul, a statement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) also verified the road’s reopening a week-long blockade.
Clashes between the Taliban and security forces recently increased in Helmand, causing residents many problems, including displacement.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.