Helmand’s war-displaced families receive aid
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Nearly 600 of 3,000 families displaced by war in southern Helmand province have received aid packages, officials said on Sunday.
Asadullah Mayar, head of the Afghanistan Red Crescent Society (ARCS) for Helmand, told Pajhwok Afghan News 586 families had been displaced from ChahAnjeer, Nawabad and other areas of Nad Ali district to Lashkargah City.
He said each of the displaced households in Bulan area on the outskirts of the provincial capital received 20 kilograms of rice, sugar, tea, ghee and a bottle for water storage.
“Inedible items are yet to arrive due to road blockades; this aid will be received once roads reopen,” he said, adding the assistance was distributed based on a survey conducted by ARCS mobile teams.
Mayar said around 4,000 people had been displaced as a result of conflict in Helmand. A survey to identify the needy was underway.
At the aid distribution ceremony, Governor, Hayatullah Hayatsaid around 3,000 families had been displaced from Nad Ali and Nawa districts. He asked charities and businessmen to help the war-affected families.
Refugees and Repatriation Director Naqibullah Zmaral, also said around 3,000 families had been displaced, with 700 surveyed.He stressed the displaced families should receive sustained support.
Mohammad Gul, an aid recipient from the Nawabad area of Nad Ali district, said: “This assistance won’t help us; we want security,”He has enough land and owns a house in the district, but could not use them due to insecurity.
Ibrahim, another aid beneficiary, said: “We have been forced by fighting to leave our homesfull of belongings in ChahAnjeer area. Now we live in a ruined house.”
This is the first time war-affected families in Helmand have received aid.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.