Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Education, justice ministries sign MoU on illiteracy

Education, justice ministries sign MoU on illiteracy

Aug 15, 2016 - 21:02

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The ministries of educationinfo-icon and justice on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on working together to educate children at correction centres, prisoners and low scale employees of the Justice Ministry’s departments.  

The one year MoU was between Education Minister Asadullah Hanifi Balkhi and Justice Minister Abdul Basir Anwar here.

Under the MoU, the Justice Ministry would launch literacy courses in its departments and the Education Ministry would be responsible for supervising the courses and providing teaching materials.

Balkhi told the MoU signing ceremony that the illiteracy eradicating commission led by 2nd vice president Mohammad Sarwar Danish had one and a half years back decided that organizations having working link to the literacy programmes’ implementation should execute the programmes in coordination with the Ministry of Education and according to its policy and strategy.

He didn’t provide information about expenses of the literacy programmes and who would cover them.  

Abdul Basir Anwar said by signing the MoU, his ministry’s illiterate employees, prisoners and children being raised at correction centres would be educated.     

He hailed the signing of the MoU with the Ministry of Education as a good step and promised all out efforts at implementing the programme.

According to the education minister, currently 40 percent of the country’s population form literate people and the rest 60 percent are illiterate, with 75 percent of womeninfo-icon.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update