Insurgents flushed out from Jawzjan, claims governor
SHIBERGHAN (Pajhwok): The security situation has been controlled in eight districts of northern Jawzjan province, where all highways are open for traffic, Governor Maulvi Lutfullah Aziz claimed on Tuesday.
Speaking to residents on his administration’s six-month performance, the governor said several development projects had been completed and drastic changes brought about in the law and order situation.
He said Kham Aab, Qarqin, Faizabad, Muradyan, Mangajak, Aqcha, Khan Aqa and Khwaja Durqu districts had been cleared of insurgents during military operations, in which 245 militants were killed, 186 wounded and 117 others held.
Aziz added all roads in Jawzjan were open for traffic, calling rumours about the blockade of highways part of enemy propaganda.
“The Taliban claim capturing some areas from security forces after the military operation came to an end, but their assertion is wrong. Security forces are engaged in fighting against the militants in some areas,” he said.
The governor acknowledged some insurgents were still active in Zar Aab and Qush Tepa districts, but the security forces were committed to flushing them out. More efforts would be made to establish rule of law and banish terrorists from the province.
Azizi said more than 100 development projects worth millions of afghanis were underway in the province. The projects, including road constriction, dams, schools, clinics, mosques and a sport complex, will benefit the people.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.