Security forces, Taliban claim control of Hesarak
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Local officials on Saturday said heavy casualties had been inflicted on militants in counterattacks in the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province, while the Taliban claimed capturing the town.
Nangarhar police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, told Pajhwok Afghan News a large number of insurgents, including foreigners, suffered casualties after the arrival of reinforcements in the district.
On the other hand, the governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said 41 militants had been killed and a large number of others wounded in security forces’ retaliatory attacks.
Afghan Air Force planes pounded militant hideouts after clashes erupted in Hesarak, he said, adding foreign fighters were among the dead and their bodies still lay at the scene.
Khogyani said Afghan Special Forces, having reached the district, were fighting against the militants.
He confirmed two Afghan security personnel were also killed and three others injured in clashes. Khogyani rejected reports about the fall of Hesarak to Taliban.
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed Hesarak had been overran by militants. Many Afghan security personnel had suffered casualties during clashes, he said.
Hesarak is one of remote towns of Nangarhar, bordering the Azra district of central Logar province. Contact could not be established with local people due to the absence of telephone services there.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.