Large scale operation in Kunduz on the cards: Habibi
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Defence Minister Abdullah Habibi on Sunday said security forces in northern Kunduz province had been directed to launch a major operation against insurgents in the province.
The minister, who paid a visit to Kunduz City, the provincial capital, told reporters here that he visited the province to remove people’s concerns and investigate the security situation.
He said the Afghan National Army (ANA) forces had been directed to conduct a large scale operation under the command of deputy chief of armed forces Gen. Murad Ali Murad against Taliban insurgents in Kunduz.
He said areas captured by insurgents would be wrested back during the operation. He said the Khanabad district of Kunduz had been recaptured by security forces and search operations were underway in various areas of the province.
Kunduz Governor Asadullah Omar said the central government was paying special attention to the security situation in Kunduz where security forces and militants were locked in clashes over the past few days
The governor said the central government had now sent enough security forces to the province and that foreign forces were cooperating with the government in conducting airstrikes.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.