Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

We are victims of democracy, claims Khurasani

We are victims of democracy, claims Khurasani

Aug 21, 2016 - 10:57

TALOQAN (Pajhwok): The brother of a former Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon contestant says his brother was injured and 13 of his supporters killed in a NATOinfo-icon airstrike during the election campaign.

But the deadly raid is yet to be investigated, according to the brother of Abdul Wahid Khurasani -- a candidate from northern Tahkar province for the lower house in 2010 the elections.

Islamuddin Khurasani, in an exclusive interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, said his brother was an independent parliamentary candidate.

“Our convoy, heading from Khwaja Bahauddin district to Rustaq, was struck by NATO forces in Kiwan village. The alliance, given wrong intelligence, dropped bombs on us without identifying us,” he alleged.

Thirteen campaigners were killed and three others including his brother injured in the airstrike. Khurasani said they were chanting slogans in support of Abdul Wahid Khurasani through loudspeakers on their vehicles.

“After the bombardment, the jets flew away. Later on, two helicopters came and opened fire on the injured and killed all of them,” he claimed.

“We were lucky in hiding in a mountanous area. My brother contacted the Ministry of Interior, but it was too late when the ministry got in touch NATO forces.”

After the raid, two other helicopters came and took Abdul Wahid Khurasani and two other injured to a Kabulinfo-icon hospitals for treatment, the man continued.

“Later, we transferred the bodies in our vehicles to their families; some of the victims were headless and others had their legs blown off. Some were mutilited beyond recognition,” he said.

The victims' families are in poor economic condition. The election contestant is yet to recover fully despite travelling three times a year to India for his treatment.

Khurasani recalled: “We complained to the Takhar government, NATO forces, the United Nations and others. But have not received any satisfactory response so far.”

The German and American blamed each other for involvement in the flawed bombardment, he continued, expressing displeasure with the uncocern shown by the authorities.

“I have reason to say we are victims of democracy; we aren't allowed to conduct political activities. Our rights and talents have been restricted,” observed Khurasani, who asked relevant organs to punish the perpetrators.

Takhar governor’s spokesman, Sunatullah Timori, said: “We have no information. Since NATO was involved, it is responsible for the incident.”

But NATO said after the incident that Uzbekistan extremists were among the campaigners. Former president Hamid Karzai had strongly denounced the killing of civilians on the election campaign.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update