Insurgents in Helmand rendered unable to resist: Hayat
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The Helmand governor says Taliban insurgents have been defeated and they couldn’t resist security forces in the southern province.
Hayatullah Hayat told reporters on Wednesday after a security meeting that Afghan and US forces were conducting joint operations against insurgents in some areas of the province.
Thirteen insurgents were killed during last night’s (Tuesday night) airstrikes alone and the militants were driven from Chah-i-Injir area of Nad Ali district.
Hayat said the joint forces were engaged in an operation to reopen the Helmand-Kandahar highway.
“Insurgents can’t put up resistance during face-to-face clashes with security forces but they instead plant landmines on streets and fields. Rebels open fire at security personnel in fear from faraway places and this issue will also be resolved soon.”
However, a Chah-i-Injir area resident, Mohammadullah Dost, told Pajhwok Afghan News many people were forced to leave the area. He said some homes had been blown up with bombs and others set alight by insurgents.
Dost said insurgents remained stationed north of the Chah-i-Injir area of Nad Ali district.
However, Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said the fighters showed strong resistance to foreign and Afghan security forces.
He claimed the fighters in Sangin district and on the Helmand-Kandahar highway destroyed two tanks and killed five soldiers onboard.
Helmand is the most insecure province of Afghanistan and currently Taliban are in control of its four districts and only district centres of Kajaki, Sangin, Washir, Nad Ali, Marja, Nawa, Garamser and Khanshin are with the government.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.