Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Top Kunduz officials come under Taliban attack

Top Kunduz officials come under Taliban attack

Aug 24, 2016 - 19:06

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Three high-ranking security and civil officials came under attack from Talibaninfo-icon insurgents in northern Kunduz province on Wednesday, when a massive security operation was launched.

Accompanied by some reporters, the three officials coming under attack included the governor, the provincial spymaster and the police chief.

They were travelling outside the provincial capital to visit areas recently cleared of insurgents especially the Alchin Bridge area but were ambushed by Taliban on their way. 

A Pajhwok Afghan News reporter, who was in the convoy, said the three officials escorted by dozens of security personnel quickly returned to the provincial capital.  

Before the attack, the three officials addressed a joint press conference in Kunduz City. Governor Asadullah Amarkhel told the press conference that the major operation launched on Wednesday morning against insurgents was aimed at clearing areas on the outskirts of Kunduz City.

He said the targeted areas included Kanam, Hazrat Sultan, Zarkharid, Talwaka and the highway from the entrance to Kunduz city until the Alchin Bridge area.       

He said the Alchin Bridge had been partially damaged but small vehicles could cross it and the bridge would be repaired over the next three days.

Police chief Brig. Gen. Qaseem Jangal Bagh said at least 30 insurgents were killed and another 18 wounded on the first day of the operation which was ongoing.

The provincial National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) chief, Sayed Amirshah Sadaat,  said recent assaults by insurgents, numbering around 1,000, were naturalized by security forces and the rebels themselves had confirmed their defeat.     

“The recent attacks by insurgents were directed by their local intelligence and they despite many efforts wouldn’t able to reach their goals and have been frustrated.”

The power line extended from Tajikistan to Kunduz city was repaired on Tuesday evening after being broken during clashes between security forces and insurgents a week ago.

But Da Afghanistaninfo-icon Breshna Shirkat (DABS) head for the northeastern zone, Eng. Hamidullah, told Pajhwok Afghan News the cables were cut off again at around 11:00am today and the power utility’s personnel were not allowed to reach the area to reconnect the cables.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update