Urgent operation sought in Nangarhar’s Hesarak
KABUL (Pajhwok): The provincial council (PC) of eastern Nangarhar province on Wednesday warned the humanitarian situation could worsen in Hesarak district if security operations were not conducted on an emergency footing.
For the past few days, fierce clashes have been underway in the district which borders central Kabul and Logar provinces. The Taliban recently claimed overrunning the district, but their claim was rejected by government officials.
Local officials claim dozens of Taliban militants including a number of key commanders have been killed and wounded during operations over the past three days in Hesarak, a claim the rebels deny.
Nangarhar provincial council chief Ahmad Ali Hazrat told Pajhwok Afghan News the humanitarian crisis had erupted in Hesarak.
He said the number of government forces had reduced from the previous 150 to only 50 in the troubled town as some had been killed or wounded and others deserted.
The top public representative in Nangarhar claimed six security men had committed suicide to avoid being captured alive by the insurgents in Hesarak.
Ahmad Ali urged the central government to dispatch reinforcements to the district as soon as possible and conduct strong air and ground operations.
He warned the rebels were not far from capturing the district if operations against them were not launched on an emergency footing. “Except the district headquarters, all areas are under Taliban control.”
Nangarhar police spokesman Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal expressed his unawareness about committing suicides by the six soldiers.
But he said security reinforcements had reached Hesarak where enough local police and commando forces were present and very soon more forces would be sent to the district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.