Kunduz-Takhar highway still blocked, say public reps & residents
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Provincial council members and residents of northeastern Kunduz province on Thursday rejected claims about the reopening of Kunduz-Takhar highway, saying the key route remains blocked amid clashes
Amruddin Wali, a provincial council member, told Pajhwok Afghan News that local officials were trying to dupe people by saying that the road had been reopened. Heavy clashes are still ongoing on the highway.
“The Kunduz-Khanabad road is still blocked and local officials give wrong statements in a bid to prove they are in charge of the situation; they are creating more problems by claiming the road has been cleared. “I don’t know what type of mentality they have,” he asked.
On the other hand, residents alleged the local government was too weak to reopen the highway, asking the central authorities to launch an operation for ousting Taliban from the area.
“The highway has been blocked for the past 10 days. Provincial officials have been saying whacking lies about purging the area of insurgents,” said Basir, a resident of Kunduz.
Driver Faiz Mohammad criticised the government for failing to reopen the highway. He asked security forces to flush out militants from the busy route.
“The highway has been blocked for the past 12 days, creating problems for people. I am a driver and know people do not like travellingthe Qushlaq road. The government should reopen the road as soon as possible,” he demanded.
Deputy police chief, Col. Masoom Hashimi, confirmed clashes on the Kunduz-Takhar highway. In coordination of other forces, police had launched an operation to clear the area, he said.
“We have only one problem: The Taliban hidein civilian houses. We are trying to avoid harm to people, but we are making progress and many areas have already been cleaned.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.