Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kandahar-Helmand highway month-long blockade ends

Kandahar-Helmand highway month-long blockade ends

Sep 05, 2016 - 16:47

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The Kandahar-Helmand highway has been reopened for traffic after remaining closed for about a month in southern Helmand province, officials said on Monday.

Capt. Shakeel Tasal, a spokesman for the 215 Maiwand Military Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News the road was reopened as a result of a joint operation involving Afghan National Army (ANA), police, intelligence and commando personnel late on Sunday night.

A number of militants were killed during the operation and the security forces escaped unharmed during the offensive, he said, adding the highway had been cleared of roadside bombs. He said military vehicles travelled on the road, but civilian vehicles were yet to use it.

Tasal said the Helmand public works department had been informed to reconstruct culverts destroyed as a result of roadside bombings on the road.

A day earlier, Helmand public works officials said they were ready to reconstruct the culverts.

Governor Hayatullah Hayat confirmed the highway had been reopened for traffic but said Talibaninfo-icon insurgents had blown up most of the culverts on the route and created problems for traffic.

He said Afghan forces would launch a large-scale operation for ensuring security of the highway and other areas in Helmand.

A security official, who wished not to be named, said both Taliban and Afghan force had suffered casualties during the operation.

The source said the highway was not fully opened and currently only military vehicles used it.

There has been no word from Taliban about the highway’s reopening.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update