Twin suicide blasts in Kabul: 24 killed, 91 wounded
KABUL (Pajhwok): The death toll from twin suicide bombings has risen to 24 with another 91 people injured in the latest attack on central capital Kabul on Monday, officials said.
The twin blasts in rapid succession took place in front of the Defence Ministry building at about 3:30pm when the ministry officials were leaving.
Faridon Obaidi, crime investigation chief at the 101 Asmai Zone police headquarters, told reporters at the scene that first a magnetic bomb was detonated and when police rushed to the scene to look for casualties a suicide bomber on foot approached them and detonated his explosives.
However, he did not provide figures for the casualties.
Mohammad Ismail Khawasi, the Public Health Ministry spokesman, said 24 people were killed and another 91 wounded in the twin blasts.
He said the dead and the wounded had been shifted to various hospitals in the central capital.
Earlier sources said the second district police chief and his deputy were among those killed in the attack.
Some security officials and eyewitnesses said there were two suicide bombers.
A security official, who declined to be named, told Pajhwok Afghan News at the scene that first one suicide bomber blew himself up and a second bomber struck after security forces gathered at the site of the first blast.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the twin bombings which he said killed and wounded several MoD officials.
Security forces have cordoned off the area and were investigating.
Meanwhile, President Ashraf Ghani strongly condemned the attack and said the enemies of Afghanistan once again showed they were against the country’s development.
In a statement from the Presidential Palace, Ghani said terrorists wanted to reach their nefarious designs by spreading terror and carrying out terrorist attacks.
He said the enemies of Afghanistan had no courage to enter a face-to-face fight with the Afghan defence and security forces and thus attacking innocent civilians on highways, in schools and mosques.
The president extended his condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for early recovery of those injured.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.