80 rebels, 5 security men dead in Ghazni clashes
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): Eighty Taliban militants and five security personnel were killed during clashes in the Giro district of southern Ghazni province, the governor said on Tuesday.
Another 110 militants and seven security men sustained injuries during the clashes, Abdul Karim Matin told a press conference here.
He said some 300 rebels laid siege the district and launched attacks from 17 different directions last night.
Reinforcements had reached the district and airstrikes were carried out last night targeting the attackers, he said.
Matin said the insurgents had been pushed back and the situation was now under control, denying casualties to civilians.
Deputy provincial council chief Ismatullah Jamradwal said the rebels had many times attacked Giro district and were finally able to capture two police posts and were trying to capture the entire district.
The public representative said Giro residents were facing many problems and the government should address them.
Yar Mohammad, a resident of Giro district, told Pajhwok Afghan News the conflict had been ongoing since Sunday night and many Taliban had suffered casualties so far.
He said a large number of insurgents had arrived in the district and last night’s airstrikes forced some families to leave their homes. So far four civilians had been injured, he said.
Taliban’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed the conflict in Giro but said so far the warring sides had not entered a direct engagement.
He said a local police commander was killed and three Taliban fighters were wounded during last night clashes.
Mujahid said the rebels had planted landmines on all roads leading to the district, bringing to a halt all kinds of movement on the roads.
Clashes between security forces and insurgents have recently increased in Giro, Andar and some other districts of Ghazni.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.