15 rebels killed in Nangarhar’s Hesarak, Taliban deny
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 15 militants including a commander have been killed during a security operation in Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province, the military said on Wednesday.
Local officials on Tuesday announced Afghan forces had launched an operation in the district codenamed “Operation Saiqa Hesarak.”
The operation was launched after militants recently captured many areas near the Hesarak district center.
The 15 militants and one of their commanders were killed during the operation on Tuesday, a statement from the 201st Selab Military Corps in the eastern region said.
The statement identified the slain Taliban commander as Hamza and said Afghan forces also seized some weapons and ammunition from militants.
Meanwhile, Qasim Khan, a resident of Hesarak, told Pajhwok Afghan News he also heard heavy gunfire on Tuesday night, but was unaware about casualties.
But the Taliban rejected their casualties and said no operation had been launched in Hesarak.
Their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the district center was under their control and security forces remained confined to their base.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.