Daesh suffer casualties for first time in Kunar
KABUL (Pajhwok): Twenty-one Islamic State or Daesh militants suffered casualties during an airstrike for the first time in eastern Kunar province, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Wednesday.
Eight IS militants were killed and 15 others were wounded during the airstrike by Afghan forces targeting a gathering of the group in Shaltan Dara’s Sara Sah village of Shegal district last night, a MoD statement said.
The dead included a commander of the group, the statement said, adding a base of Daesh was destroyed in the airstrike.
Kunar police chief Brig. Gen. Juma Gul Himmat also confirmed the airstrike, but said nine Daesh affiliates were killed and eight others were wounded in the blitz.
The Islamic State group has so far not commented about the incident.
It is pertinent to mention here that it was for the first time that the group suffered casualties in Kunar province.
Local officials had said the IS group has started their activities in Kunar. A NATO general had also said Daesh militants after facing defeat in Nangarhar have been trying to sneak into Kunar.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.