Security situation ‘unsatisfactory’ in Kunduz: Jahid
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Describing the security situation in northern Kunduz province as ‘unsatisfactory’, Interior Minister Taj Mohammad Jahid on Wednesday said a massive operation against insurgents has been launched to ensure security.
Jahid, who arrived in the province to assess security situation, said security forces were stretched due to threats in other provinces and the move paved the way for insurgents to strengthen their influence and activities in Kunduz.
The interior minister, while acknowledging that security situation in Kunduz wasn’t satisfactory, said recently a fresh mopping-up operation against militants had been launched in the province to drive all the insurgents from the entire province.
He asked local inhabitants to help security forces cleanse their localities from insurgents and not let their youngsters join rebels’ ranks or help the insurgents conduct terrorist and destructive activities.
On the situation in Dasht-i-Archi district, the minister said currently an operation was underway in the district where the security situation would soon be improved.
Marshal Amin, a tribal elder, expressed concern over the security situation and said security organs especially the Ministry of Interior should seriously pay attention to the province.
He said the deteriorating security situation had forced businessmen and entrepreneurs into leaving the province, resulting in poverty, unemployment and forcing the youth to swell insurgent ranks.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.