16 insurgents claimed killed in Ghazni airstrikes
GHAZNI CITY (Pajhwok): At least 16 Taliban insurgents have been killed in overnight airstrikes in Giru district of southern Ghazni province, local officials said on Wednesday, a claim the rebels denied.
Ghazni police spokesman Javed Salangi told Pajhwok Afghan News the Tuesday’s blitz killed 14 insurgents, including a commander, in Ziyarat Tapa area of the district. Six motorbikes and three vehicles of the militants were also destroyed, he added.
A resident of Ziyarat Tapa, Mohammadullah, said clashes had been ongoing in the area over the past few days. He said sometimes heavy weapons were used during the clashes and some civilians had also suffered casualties. “Yesterday a mortar shell landed on a house, killing a man and wounding two children but no one asked about the incident.”
There has been no word from security forces about civilian casualties. However, the 203rd Thunder Military Corps in a statement said 16 Taliban insurgents were killed and another 40 wounded during the airstrikes.
Hamidullah Nawroz, the provincial council head, said both the sides should seriously consider not harming civilians. Clashes were ongoing in many parts of Ghazni, preventing people from performing their daily tasks, he said, adding the conflict had forced many families into leaving homes and they were now in immediate need of aid.
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the fighters hadn’t suffered any casualties over the past 48 hours. He claimed the Giro district centre had been surrounded by fighters over the past 20 days, so far killing 50 army and police personnel.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.