Civilians among 21 dead in Achin drone strike
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Twenty-one Daesh rebel and civilians have been killed in a US drone strike in the Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province early Wednesday, the Governor’s House said.
The drone strike took place at around 3:00am on a house in the Raghzi village of Traili locality, leaving 18 Daesh rebels, including their commander Hamza and judge Haji Mohammad, dead and five others wounded.
A statement from the governor’s office confirmed three civilians were killed and six other wounded in the airstrike.
Approached for comments, US military spokesman Brig. Gen. Charles Cleveland said: “We are aware of some claims of Afghan casualties, and are currently reviewing all materials related to this strike. We are continuing to look into these allegations …”
He added the US military in Afghanistan took all allegations of civilian casualties very seriously. The US forces did conduct one counter-terrorism air strike in Achin district today.
Nangarhar police spokesman Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal confirmed 18 Daesh rebels, including dreaded commanders of the group, were killed in the raid.
Earlier, a well-placed source said at least 13 civilians had been killed and 14 others wounded in the drone attack. He added the drone struck the house of a public health employee, who had just returned from Haj.
The strike took place at a time when a large number of guests and relatives were present at the official’s house to greet him on performing the ritual.
Malang, commander of Afghan Local Police (ALP) in the area, verified 13 people were killed and 27 others wounded in the drone strike. He confirmed the dead and injured were civilians.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.