35 injured as Taliban renew attack on Kunduz City
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least 35 people including civilians and security forces were wounded after Taliban insurgents stormed the capital of northern Kunduz province on Monday, capturing several posts, but the Ministry of Defence said security forces were in control of the strategic urban centre.
Masoom Hashimi, deputy provincial police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the rebels attacked Sai Darak and Zakhil villages of Kunduz city early in the morning.
The insurgents, who attacked the city from four sides, captured two security posts and an intense fighting was underway, he said.
He said reinforcements had arrived to join other security forces to frustrate the coordinated attack.
Dr. Naeem Mangal, Kunduz zonal hospital head, said since the morning one dead body and 35 wounded civilians and security men had been delivered to the hospital.
A provincial council member, Amruddin Wali, said heavy clashes were ongoing following heavy explosions and gunfire in different neighbourhoods. The city might fall again to Taliban if reinforcements did not arrive in time, he warned.
A source in the MoD also confirmed insurgents had sneaked into homes in some residential areas, including Bandari Kabul, Angor Bagh, Tapa-i-Khaki in the jurisdiction of 3rd police district, Bagh Shirkat and Zarkhareed, and used local residents as human shields, scaring residents.
He said the Afghan defence and security forces backed by air forces had suppressed the insurgents and Kunduz city was completely under control of security forces.
The source said security forces’ aggressive operation against militants was ongoing, and a manhunt launched to closely follow insurgents and kill them.
One resident, who did not want to be named, said both Taliban and security forces used civilian homes. Heavy fighting was ongoing and helicopters were hovering over the city, he claimed.
Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the provincial capital was attacked from four directions in the morning. He said Afghan forces had suffered heavy casualties.
Nawabad area and several security posts around the city had already been overrun by the fighters, who entered the Kunduz city, he added.
The Taliban briefly held Kunduz City about a year ago and renewed their attack, forcing local residents to attempt fleeing. Shops were closed in the city.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.