Civilians suffered the most in Kunduz clashes: PC
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The provincial council on Thursday assailed the government over failing to control the fighting in northern Kunduz province, saying mostly civilians bore the brunt of the situation.
Amruddin Wali, a member of the provincial council, told Pajhwok Afghan News the government had failed in controlling the war in Kunduz and paid no attention to people’s problems.
He said the fighting had been ongoing on the outskirts of Kunduz city and many civilians had been killed, wounded and displaced; but the operation by government forces had achieved nothing so far.
He said the interior minister Thursday’s visit to the province was just a show off. “Today we tried to meet and share our province’s issues with the minister; but the provincial government didn’t want us meet him. After this we want practical actions and would not accept only promises.”
Zargul Alami, secretary of the provincial council, criticizing the government for not paying attention to the province, said: “Civilians have been bearing the brunt of the situation in Kunduz and their lives are ruined and the government is silent to resolve the problem.”
Alami, while blasting the interior minister for not meeting provincial council representatives, said the minister’s coming to Kunduz was meaningless.
He said those surrounding the minister did not let them meet him to share the problems of people with him.
Marzia Yaftali, the zonal hospital director, said, nearly 100 doctors of the hospital had been at homes with their families who lived in insecure areas and only 12 doctors remained at the hospital and they couldn’t handle all the patients.
The issues had been shared with the Ministry of Public Health, he said. “We asked the ministry to send a supporting team here, if not then a humanitarian disaster is imminent.” He said 156 wounded people have been so far evacuated to the hospital over the past three days.
On the other hand, Mahmood Danish, the Kunduz governor’s spokesman, said the situation was under control of security forces inside the city. He said operations were ongoing and over the past four days, more than 100 Taliban insurgents had been killed but he had no exact figures for civilian and military casualties.
The Kunduz city has been the scene of fierce clashes and currently several areas of the city are under Taliban control.
Taliban briefly overran the city last year after a multi-pronged attack before being driven by Afghan forces in several days.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.